The ESC of Lake Erie West programs are administratively grouped under six headings.
Center for Teaching & Learning: The Center for Teaching & Learning includes four major service areas.
- Student Services programs focus on students from preschool through age 21 challenged by physical, mental and emotional disabilities. One specific Student Services program is the Alternate Learning Center (ALC). The ALC is a K-12 school for children with severe emotional, behavioral and mental health disabilities. Students are provided with academic programming and taught skills needed to make a successful transition back to their home school
- Gifted Education serves students in six school districts
- As an authorized Pearson VUE test center, we offer the GED as well as approximately 80 other computer-based assessments.
- Challenger Learning Center immerses students in a realistic simulation of NASA’s Mission Control Center and Space Lab.
State Support Team – Region One: The SSTR1 is responsible for the regional delivery of school improvement, literacy, special education compliance, and early learning and school readiness services to districts. The SST serves schools and school districts in Defiance, Fulton, Hancock, Henry, Lucas, Ottawa, Paulding, Putnam, Sandusky, Seneca, Van Wert, Williams, and Wood counties.
Community Schools: The ESC of Lake Erie West helped pilot community schools in Ohio at the direction of the state legislature. We currently sponsor 59 community schools throughout Ohio. .
Auxiliary Services: Through this federal and state funded program, chartered non-public (parochial) schools receive services for their students. Eighteen schools currently contract with the ESC of Lake Erie West for specialized services.
Fiscal Services: The treasurer’s office provides fiscal services to schools, school districts and community schools. Services include training in school accounting, assistance with financial planning, preparation of financial statements, payroll and purchase order processing, oversight of federal and state reporting, grant management, EMIS support, health insurance administration, STRS/SERS and worker’s compensation reporting.
Administrative Services Programs: The Collingwood Center offers a fitness/aquatic center to staff, students and community members. The Motorcycle Safety Program is offered county wide every summer and involves motorcycle riding practice and safety instruction. The Traffic Safety Program is funded by federal grants and is focused on reducing deaths, injuries, and costs associated with motor vehicle crashes. The ESC of Lake Erie West is also the approval agent for Home Education for four local districts.
More information on our services and programs can be found in other sections of this website.
EDUCATIONAL SERVICE CENTER OF LAKE ERIE WEST
2275 Collingwood Boulevard
Toledo Ohio 43620
The Educational Service Center of Lake Erie West’s vision is to serve as a collaborative partner and educational leader.
The mission of the Educational Service Center of Lake Erie West is to provide quality resources and services that meet the unique needs of our partners in the educational community.
As an organization focused on continuous improvement, the ESC of Lake Erie West has the following goals:
LEADERSHIP - Develop and provide educational leadership and operational support services to our partners.
QUALITY & ACCOUNTABILITY – Provide programs and services that meet the quality and accountability expectations of our partners.
COLLABORATION - Develop and enhance collaborative relationships within our organization, with our regional and statewide partners, and with the community.
RESOURCE MANAGEMENT - Efficiently and effectively manage all resources available to the organization; promote shared services on a regional and statewide basis.
Key values that define the Educational Service Center of Lake Erie West are providing quality services to our educational partners; being flexible and responsive to the individualized needs of our partners; promoting collaboration with local schools, school districts and community agencies to plan current and future program offerings and services; taking a leadership role in creating innovative programs that provide new opportunities for our partners; and maintaining cost effectiveness for the schools and school districts served by the Educational Service Center of Lake Erie West.
Located in the heart of Toledo, Ohio the Lucas County Educational Service Center (LCESC) was established in 1914. On January 1, 2012 the name was changed to the Educational Service Center of Lake Erie West.
The ESC of Lake Erie West is one of the largest educational service centers in the State of Ohio with over 280 employees providing high quality, professional services to our educational partners. Many state programs such as preschool accreditation, community schools, out of school programming, and gifted education were piloted through our ESC.
The ESC of Lake Erie West is the only educational service center in Ohio to support a Challenger Learning Center focused on increasing student interest in science and math.
Over the years, board members, staff members, programs, and materials have received local, state and national recognition for outstanding achievement.
Monthly and Periodic Awards
- Job Well Done Award for Staff Members
- Family of the Month Award
- Outstanding Students Awards in English, Math, Science, Foreign Language, Social Studies, Arts, Extra Curricular
- "Yes, I Can" Awards for special needs students
- Rookie of the Year—outstanding first year as ESC of Lake Erie West certified employee
- Excellence Fund Scholarship for Employee’s Child pursuing higher education
- Excellence Fund Scholarship for Staff Member seeking coursework in education
- Service Awards for employees with 10, 15, 20, 25, 30+ years of service
- Community Service Award for outstanding support by community partner
- I Make a Difference Award—valedictorians and salutatorians from each district honor the teacher who made a difference in his/her life